What are the major phases in the commissioning process?
Building commissioning services follow a proven process as outlined by ASHRAE Guidelines 2005 and the (ACG) American Association Balancing Contractors Commissioning Group Guidelines. The following is a summary of major phases:
Program Development Phase
- CxA and Owner Develop Project Requirement (OPR) development document
- Mechanical Electrical and Plumbing (MEP) Designers Develop Basis of Design (BOD) document
- MEP systems budgeting and life cycle costing of MEP systems
- MEP monitoring and verification planning
- OPR and BOD Review and Comment by Commissioning Authority
- CxA reviews design at 60%, 90%, Backcheck at 100%
- CxA provides commissioning specifications
- CxA develops design phase Cx Plan.
- Owner, consultant and Cx, vendor’s factory tours
- CxA LEED Checklist review
- CxA develops and tracks commissioning issues log through project close out.
Commissioning Document Development Phase
- CxA develops a written commissioning plan
- CxA develops a written installation & pre-functional test procedure.
- CxA develops functional test procedures.
- CxA conducts commissioning team kickoff meeting
- CxA coordinates commissioning schedule w/ contractors
- CxA reviews shop drawing/submittal
- CxA observes critical system mockup and testing
- CxA reviews critical system method of procedures (MOP)
- CxA reviews systems manual (operations & maintenance (O&M))
- CxA reviews owners staff training
- CxA installation and startup observation and documentation
- CxA reviews and verifies pre-functional test forms
- CxA reviews request for information/change order/scope/budget review
- CxA conducts regular commissioning meetings
- CxA reviews and spot checks balancing and acceptance testing.
- CxA reviews owner training.
Functional Testing Phase
- CxA coordinates contractor functional testing
- CxA observes contractor functional testing.
- CxA retests corrected deficiencies
- CxA conducts commissioning meeting
Close Out Phase
- CxA conducts commissioning closeout meeting
- CxA submits final commissioning report
- CxA conduct opposite season testing and warranty review
- CxA attends 10th month warranty walk thruough
Required 2013 California Title 24 Commissioning Non-Residential Compliance Forms (click on the files below to download the forms)